5 lb. fresh spinach, stems removed 1 cup unsalted butter
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced 1 lb. ricotta cheese
6 tsp. Salt 1 3/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 lb. wild mushrooms, trimmed, cut into one inch pieces
3/4 cup Madeira wine 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
4 1/2 cups milk 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 lb. fresh spinach lasagna (May use plain lasagna.)
- Wash spinach leaves well and shake dry. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large pan over medium heat. Add half the garlic; sauté until light golden (don’t let them brown), about two minutes. Add half the spinach leaves, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, four to five minutes. Drain spinach in a colander. Repeat with remaining spinach. When spinach is cool enough to handle, squeeze to rid it of liquid. Roughly chop spinach; place in medium bowl. Add ricotta cheese, 2 tsp. salt, and one teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- Melts 2 tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add a third of the mushrooms; season with one teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are softened and browned, about 10 minutes. Deglaze skillet by pouring 1/4 cup Madeira into hot skillet with mushrooms and using wooden spoon to loosen bits cooked onto skillet. Cook mushrooms until liquid hasn’t almost evaporated. Transfer cook mushrooms to medium bowl. Repeat with another 2 tbsp. butter, another third of the mushrooms, and 1/4 cup Madeira. (Reserve the final third of mushrooms and Madeira for topping.) Add 2/3 of the chopped parsley to the bowl with cook mushrooms; stir.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat 4 cups milk. Melt 8 tbsp. butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour; cook, stirring constantly, one minute. Slowly add warmed milk; cook, whisking constantly until mixture bubbles and becomes thick. Remove pan from heat. Stir in 2 tsp. salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the nutmeg, and 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside 1/2 cup cheese sauce. Assemble lasagna: spread 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of 9 by 13 inch baking pan. Place layer of lasagna sheets in pan, cutting to fit; spread one cup spinach mixture, one cup mushroom mixture, and 1/2 cup cheese sauce on top of lasagna sheets. Repeat layers several times. For the last layer, place layer of lasagna sheets on top; spread 1/2 cup cheese sauce over lasagna sheets. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup grated cheese. Bake lasagna until top is golden brown, 1 – 1 1/4 hours. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
- Just before serving, melt remaining 2 tbsp. butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add remaining third of the uncooked mushrooms; season with one teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until golden tender about 10 minutes. Deglaze skillet, with mushrooms in it with the remaining 1/4 cup Madeira. Stir in the remaining fresh parsley.
- In a small saucepan, combined reserve 1/2 cup sauce with remaining half cup milk. Over medium heat, whisk until smooth. Spoon cook mushrooms over each serving or serve on the side. Serve lasagna with warmed cheese sauce.
Serves 10 to 12.